Skyward Information » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

You have questions, we have answers:
What is the Emergency Contact Information Section?
  • Add persons that we may contact if we cannot get you in an emergency.
  • Add any persons that you permit to pick up your child from school and are able to get to the school should your child need to be picked up.
  • There is a limit of 4 during enrollment process.  If you need others, please contact the campus registrar.
How do I get the Requested Documents to you?
  • If you are able to upload these yourself it will greatly speed up the registration process.
  • All documents will be verified by the campus registrar and/or school nurse.
  • If you are not able to upload the documents
    • Click  Complete the Step button. You may then complete the rest of the enrollment/registration.
    • Contact your student's campus registrar to make an appointment to deliver the required documents for scan and upload.
What if I don't want to have my child's information released?
You have the option of choosing NO on any of the areas listed on the Release of Directory Information form.
The Student Publicity section includes allowing a student photo in the yearbook.
Where can I get a Refusal Form for Directory Information?
The Refusal Form may be picked up from the Central Office Receptionist. You may also download and print the form below. They are also available from the campus registrar.

Where can I find the Skyward Login?
Click this link for the  Skyward Login
Where can I see my student's progress and report cards?
This is found in the Portfolio area of Family Access under each student. See the quick reference below.